Set Basic Publishing Information
As with any other project, you want to first establish a title and description as well as where you will publish the content. Again, these are things you must always do regardless of the project type.
- Click Publish from the toolbar.
- Select the LMS tab on the left.
- Complete the Title and Location options
- Designate the Folder where you wish to publish the content. Storyline will create a sub-folder for the specific project underneath the chosen folder.
Set Publishing Properties
With the popularity of HTML5 increasing and Flash Player decreasing, programs like Storyline provide you with options to go one way or the other. You can also choose hybrid solutions that provide both as alternatives.
- Click the Format the appears under the Properties heading.
- In the Publish Formats dialog box, drag the Publish As slider to the appropriate choice. For most applications today, your best choice is either HTML5/Flash or HTML5.
- If you choose any option other than HTML5 you can also choose to produce a mobile player.
- Click OK.
Set SCORM Options
Articulate Storyline allows you publish standards compliant content for AICC, xAPI, or SCORM. Our purpose here is SCORM 2004. Once we identify the standards, we must also provide information that allows the LMS to differentiate the course with a unique course ID. Keywords are also a good idea and in some cases may even be mandatory.
- Click Reporting and Tracking Options under Output Options.
- Make sure the Reporting tab is selected, then use the LMS drop-list to choose the appropriate SCORM option.
- If you choose SCORM 2004 you need to also choose the Edition.
- Set the Identifier under LMS Course Information. This will usually become the course ID. You should have some system for course ID, whether it is established by your LMS or self-developed. The general practice is to never start a course ID with a number.
- It’s a good idea to also Keywords, especially if you want the course to searchable within an LMS that provides that capability.
Set SCO Information
So we have identified a course, however, we also need to identify the SCO within the course. Like most Rapid Development Tools, there is not really capacity here for multiple-SCO’s within the course. We’ll talk about alternatives later.
- If different from the course title, add the SCO Title.
- Add a SCO Identifier. This will become the SCO ID. No need to get fancy here. Most just put the letters SCO followed by an underscore and a three or four digit number (e.g. SCO_001).
- Under the LMS Reporting section, use the drop-list to set the Report status to LMS as: option. If you are not sure which to choose, go with Complete/Incomplete. If there is a scored quiz, you will normally choose Passed/Incomplete or Passed/Failed.
Set Tracking Options
We’re still not done with this. We need to determine how we will track. Articulate Storyline provides the option to track either by slide completion or by quiz results, but not both. This is somewhat of a limitation but also less complex than in other applications.
- Click the Tracking tab in the Reporting and Tracking dialog box.
- Choose the appropriate tracking option. If you are simply tracking completion you would choose the first option. You would then normally set completion based on viewing all the slides. If you have a scored quiz you can choose the second option.
- Click OK.
How to Publish the Project
That’s all the options. The next part is to go ahead and publish. There will be two parts here. The first is to actually publish all the files necessary for the course to run in the LMS. The second part is to create the course package so the LMS can import it. Remember that most LMS’s require a zip file package.
- Click Publish.
- Once it completes you will get the Publish Successful dialog box. To package for your LMS, select the Zip option.
- A dialog box will appear to select where the zip file will be saved. Select the appropriate location.
- Click Save. Once the package is complete, Storyline will automatically open a file browsing window to the location.
- After closing the file window, you can click Close to clear the Publish Successful dialog box.
Test the Project
If you have a test LMS, make sure you test your project out there before going live. Otherwise, you may want to look at another testing option like SCORM Cloud. It allows you to set up a free account where you can upload courses for testing to determine that the tracking works.
Packaging multiple Captivate Courses
If you have the need to assemble multiple Storyline courses into one larger SCORM package you can use Simple SCORM Packager by JCA Solutions. It’s an excellent solution to produce a multi-SCO course. You can also produce a multi-SCO course using courses produced from other applications as well.